Thursday, July 12, 2007

Update: 7/7/2007 - Cold Coffee & western toilets

I just got to Chang Rai..well, not just. We actually got in last night. Terry and Janean are back too. It was so good to see them again. It felt like "mom and dad" were home. They are like adopted YWAM parents..and are so wonderful. They had a good time in Australia..as good as it can be under the circumstances. The funeral was on Wednesday. And it was an open casket...(which I've never heard of for baby deaths).

 

Chang Rai is great. It's civilization...Our dorm that we're staying in is really nice, with AC in the rooms and even a western toilet that flushes!! And there's a sink and a mirror in the same room as the toilet.


We'll be here for two whole weeks. Jesse and Oab have started a coffee/smoothie shop with YWAM and we'll be working there and building relationships with the university students. In the evening I'll be teaching "English conversation" classes with a few of my fellow team mates. The others will be teacher guitar lessons, doing sports ministry, and hanging out on the campus with the students.. it'll be way different then the work we've been doing in the hill tribes - which was more apostolic and "servicey." We held a lot of programs and did dramas, the dance, and preaching. We'll still do some of that here, but more then anything - it'll be just getting to know these people and live with them in their culture..and share Jesus' love on a day to day deal as we teach them what we know..with the English, music, etc.

I'm excited about the smoothie shop too. It gives me so much hope for the future - just hearing how they got it started. I think of How God might birth YadaRoot coffee shop ministry...and how great that will be. This is the second ministry of this nature, that I've gotten to see and hear about... so I'm really encouraged.

 

Tonight we're going to the night market, and I think some of us will go and get our Hair cut and get Thai massages - which are supposed to be amazing. I've never had a massage before. It's 100 baht for an hour - that's 3 dollars American!!

 

I hope that everything there is going great..and that you're playing lots of scrabble and getting ready for me to come home. I'm really looking forward to sitting around the table with all of you - talking about our last half a year..(5 months). We'll have to buy some Starbucks ice cream and drink the REAL coffee hot and black. The coffee here is good..but it's so much stronger then in the states..so it took me a while to get used to. Also - they serve it in little 4 oz. cups. Everything here is served "small" - even if you order "large". But it's good ..it's really good. Just different. I haven't been able to drink it hot though - because it's soo hot here. So I've been frappin' it up (frappuccino).

 

It's exciting though. God has been giving me really cool ideas for YadaRoot coffee shop. As I continue to travel, and experience different cultures - I want to pick up ideas and recipes (For coffee and pastry/food) and have a multi cultural coffee shop ..with tastes and sounds from all over the world. What do you think??

 

I need to go. But I just wanted to write you and let you know that I'm in Chang Rai - the YWAM family is reunited..and we'll be embarking on a new phase of the journey tomorrow. There's only 3 weeks left. And I'm in a city with internet - this is cheaper. So if you want to reach me..send me a line.

 

love you,  -joanna

No comments: