Saturday, June 23, 2007

Update: 6/23/2007 - Bearback Elephants

Hello !!
 
We just got back from our second Hill Tribe. Mosakee. It is a refuge hostel for orphans, widows, and the children of the hill tribe people who cannot afford to support their children on the wages they make. It was started by an amazing woman named Dteday - who was given the vision for this ministry back in the 80's. It was during a time when the child sex trade industry in Thailand was at an all time high. And her heart was just broken for the people. She knew that she had to do something, and so she prayed. She told God, "I am here. And I am available. You tell me how I can make a difference. And I will. I will do whatever you tell me to do."
 
This is a woman who was saved because of missionaries who came to her land in India in the early 1900s. She was a part of a tribe that were head hunters. But the entire tribe was saved. And today 80% of them are in missions globally. She is here in Thailand, and God has used her enormously. She has forged every bit of the work with prayer and totally dependence on God. Today they have 60 orphans living there, going to school, involved in sports, the arts and music - which is amazing in itself. They are in the middle of NOWHERE with electric guitars hooked up to battery operated generators! They also have a ministry to widows, widowers, and their families. Building homes for them, helping them find work, and get back on their feet. She also reaches out to the neighboring villages. Making sure that they have what THEY need.
 
Sean - our contact here - said that you can travel three hours in any direction from Mosakee...and you won't ever have to worry about finding your way back. Everyone knows Dteday. They say, "She is the one who prayed for my father and he was healed of cancer."  "She was the one who brought water and electricity to our village."  "She was the one who has done so much for our children and given them a future."
 
And yet, when you meet her, you would never know unless she told you. She is more concerned with what you have to say. Every time she speaks the entire room falls silent..so powerful are her words. I feel as if I have met the 'Mother Teresa' of Thailand. And I know I will be coming back here to work with her in the future.  Not Forever.  But God has given me some work to do here.
 
I would love to share just what that is, but now is not the time.  Mainly..because I'm out of time. We have to get back for a team meeting. But I will tell you ALL SOON --I promise. And MAN IS IT EXCITING !!
 
Today we got to ride elephants bear back through the jungle !! Took some amazing pics.. It was so much FUN !!!
 
LOVE YOU ALL
 
joanna

No comments: