Friday, April 4, 2008

Project Musekee - Launched

Dear Friends and Family,

I hope that this letter finds you all well. I also hope that you enjoyed the little video about Thailand that I sent out with my last letter! I mentioned at that time that I would be writing again soon – to tell you about the next project the Lord has given me for this year. It's taken longer then I originally thought to get the finer details nailed down, but now they are, and I am excited to share it with you!

Throughout the course of this past year I have been reminded that "...He who began a good work in you, will complete it [or perfect it] until the day of Jesus Christ."(Phil.1:6) Today, I'd like to share one such experience with you, an experience that has grown into an understanding, which, for me, has become a mandate. The journey began last year while I was in Discipleship Training School at YWAM. God spoke to me one night – imploring me to not ignore the gift that was in me. He was talking about writing.

That night stirred something in my spirit. The feeling could be compared to the hunger pangs that set in once you smell something cooking. The scent triggers your senses to respond. Your mouth waters, your stomach growls, you find yourself longing to fill the need you hadn't realized you had, until moments before. That's exactly the sort of physical yearning I experienced at the moment of his exhortation. The only thing I didn't understand was that he called me 'a scribe'. I didn't know what he meant by that. Was I supposed to journal more? It seemed strange to me. Little did I know, God was setting me up, and would explain everything soon.

Two weeks later my team of 9 left for Thailand. We worked in several different locations, as you remember me telling you in previous letters. My story picks up again when we reached Musekee (which means "God's Haven") – a small hill tribe located three hours outside of Chang Mai.

The events of that day will always stand out in my mind. We woke up in our comfortable little guest house in Chang Mai. We got ready, repacked, and ate a few bananas for breakfast. At eight o'clock sharp, Sean, our translator showed up at the house. With him was a woman. At the time, she was a stranger to me, just another woman. I didn't take note of her slight but sturdy frame; her long, wavy black hair, salted with a few strands of white. I didn't notice her calloused feet in sandals, and I didn't know that she made the blouse she wore. How could I have known that she woke up at three that morning to get ready and prepare breakfast for her family? That she had driven three hours to come and pick us up. Or that she would, in the next few hours, change my life.

We loaded our packs into the back of Sean's truck, covered them with tarps, and tied it all down with heavy ropes. Then we began the long dizzying drive out into the Thai wilderness. The road was rough in spots and always turning. It seemed like a never ending tropical merry-go-round. We stopped at a few guard patrol stations as we drove through several different districts. We stopped numerous other times to get sick on the side of the road. But finally, we made it to Musekee.

A thick fog shrouded all of the buildings as we drove into the property. I could see the faces of children poking out of the upstairs windows, while others surrounded our trucks, waiting for us to get out. They clambered around us as we carried our things inside the two-story cabin we were to stay in. Terry, one of our team leaders, told us to meet out on the porch as soon as we got settled.

It had begun to rain as we gathered on the porch that afternoon. The woman from that morning was sitting between our leaders, visiting. They told us to sit down, and we did, in a half moon shape around them. The woman introduced herself to us. "My name is Zothansiami Ralte, but you can call me Tete (De'tay), I go by Tete. Ok?" She spoke with an Indian accent in a low raspy tone that immediately caught my attention. I had to lean forward to hear her, over the sound of the rain.

She explained to us that she was not from Thailand, but actually moved to Chang Mai when she was in her twenties to work with the Karen people. She was originally from the Mizaom States in N.E. India. She went on to explain how her people used to be head hunters. But because of a missionary who came to her tribe years ago, now they are all Christians, and 80% of them are working in foreign missions today. She went on to tell us how her work in the hill tribes began. The struggles she's faced, the persecution, and the miraculous ways God has provided & protected both her family and those they have taken in.

As Tete spoke, I heard the Lord tell me to "Pay Attention." Instantly I sensed His presence among us, in a strong way. He spoke again, "You are my scribe. Write for me, the story of my saints." I remembered the Word that our speaker had given me during lecture phase, and I finally understood what I was supposed to do.

I thought of how Mother Theresa was discovered by a British reporter who took an interest in her work. I thought of how the world has been impacted by the life she lived, and all she did for the poor. She, like Tete, was just a faithful friend of God – who simply did what the Master was asking her to do. She wasn't looking for praise or honor. She wasn't looking for press. But her story was told, and those who've heard it, will never be the same. Because she chose to give her life away, she chose to help those who couldn't help themselves. I was reminded of Hebrews 12:1-2a


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…"


That cloud of witnesses is not just the saints who have gone before us. I believe that it is also referring to those who live among us. We are the redeemed, we are His saints – His sanctified ones. And we are all called to edify, exhort, and build each other up in the faith.

I thought of how the Church and the World needs to hear stories like these; stories of the everyday hero, the radical ones - who actually do what the Bible says. The ones who don't spinelessly conform to the molds around them, or slink into the shadows of compromise and complacency. If the first century Church was born through the blood of the Saints, maybe the Church of today needs to know that there are living martyrs – who die daily for the cause of Christ.

After hearing pieces of her story, and being briefed on our work for the week, Tete led us on a tour of Musekee. Time and again, I was overwhelmed by the Presence of the Lord in that place. I could not stop the tears from filling my eyes, or control the way my heart was racing. This place was sacred, it was holy. The Spirit of God was there in a tangible way, I had never experienced (to that degree) before. It was as though His very eyes were upon us as we witnessed the evidence of His provision.

As the days passed, I prayed for an opportunity to talk to Tete. It finally came on Friday, June 20th. The day before, we had been clearing land for a water line. I had gotten a little over-zealous with my machete, slipped while chopping down a bush, and nearly split my toe in half. But this worked out for the better, as I was able to spend a few hours the next morning with Tete – while recovering. I shared with her what I felt the Lord was telling me, and asked her what she thought. She was silent for an uncomfortable amount of time. But when she looked up there were smiling creases at the corners of her eyes. The long and short of our conversation that morning confirmed that I had heard from the Lord. She wanted me to come back. And we talked about how I should go about writing her story, and the story of that place.

After we had left Musekee, I learned from Sean and Terry that they had originally planned for us to work in a different hill tribe that week. But, due to some complications, we decided to go to Musekee instead! Don't you love the way God gets us where we need to be? He really is the voice behind us saying, "This is the way, walk in it." (Isaiah 30:21)

God has continued to open doors for me and show me how to move forward. A week after getting home, my friend Emily sent me her laptop in the mail. She said that she knew I'd need one when I went back to Thailand, and that God told her to give it to me. Later, I met a writer/actress of 30 years, on a flight to Miami who had just written a book herself. She took an interest in my project, and has become a sort of mentor to me, as time has progressed. God has literally been networking for me through divine appointments, like these. I have been surprised by how many people I have met who have connections in Thailand. Every time I have become discouraged by what seems to be 'impossible circumstances'; every time I have been tempted to give up, God has brought it right back. He continues to show me that this isn't about me. It's not by my might, not by my strength, but by His Spirit. What He began, He will finish. What He has spoken, He will accomplish.

This isn't a dream I dreamed. This is a dream that began in the heart of God - A heart full of love for the children of Thailand. A love that cannot be silent; a love that cannot stand back and watch the innocent be exploited. His love calls us to action. It calls us to be the voice of those who have no say; to defend those who cannot stand up for themselves. He calls us to be our brothers' (and sisters') keeper. That's the kind of love He birthed in Tete's heart in 1984, and she has been selflessly pouring herself out ever since.

I have continued to stay in contact with Tete, and I look forward to seeing her soon. I will be returning to Thailand for two months ( May 28th - July 30th). Sean – our translator from last summer – will be my contact when I arrive. He will pick me up at the airport in Chang Mai, and I'll be staying with his family for a day (or so) to get over jet-lag, before traveling the rest of the way to Musekee.


My purpose in returning to Thailand this time, is two-fold:

1.)To encourage, support, and honor Tete for her faithfulness. And

2.) To put to action the word spoken to me from the Lord – 'to write the story of His saints'

By capturing the essence and spirit of the work God has been doing through Tete in the hill tribes.

In the future, I would like to raise support for the village school that many of the children at Musekee attend. They are in desperate need of books, food, and a nurse's station. I would like to give to this school on behalf of Tete. This would help the continued effort to build trust, and a good name for her with the other tribal people in her area. Not to mention, the practical ways in which it would meet the needs of the children.






MORE ABOUT TETE (De'tay):

As time has gone on, Tete's work has grown. She not only rescues young girls (and boys) out of their poverty – thus saving them from being sold into Thailand's booming sex trade industry. But she also has built homes on her property for widows and orphans. She teaches the young women different trades (weaving, sewing, gardening, etc.) – which will give them a way to provide for themselves and their children. Now that some of the older children have graduated and moved on, Tete also travels to visit them, making sure they are doing well in college, finding work, and are in connection with a good support base – church, fellowship group, friends, and families.

Musekee has rice fields, gardens, cattle, and fruit trees, which not only provide food for themselves, but generates an income to help pay for the needs of the children and the costs of education. Tete is also accredited for helping to bring plumbing, running water, irrigation techniques, and solar powered electricity to the hill tribes. Sean – told us that you can travel anywhere in the three hour radius of Musekee, and people know Tete. She has literally changed hundreds of lives, and continues to reach out to as many as God brings her way.


As I venture out on this second mission, I want you all to know how grateful I am to you, for your prayers, and financial support. Please pray for wisdom and protection for me, during my time there. I will have satellite Internet access while I am at Musekee, so I will be able to write updates and keep you informed on my website: www.yadajoanna.blogspot.com .


In His service,


Joanna

No comments: